[lug] Little Network problem

gordon.golding@colorado.edu gordongoldin at aim.com
Wed Sep 10 10:18:28 MDT 2008

I have DSL.  As I understand it, I only have 1 IP because the mask
limits me to 4: network, broadcast, .1 for the modem, .2 for ONE PC.

I have a new PC.  Since I'll never have them up at once, I thougtht I'd
add a little linksys hub and leave them both connected.  Then each
should get an IP when it boots.

BUT - I can't get an IP through the hub.
AND - I connect a PC directly to the DSL Modem, I get IP .2,  I stick
the hub in the middle, for about 30 seconds I am still IP .2 and can
get to the control Web Page on the Modem.

Then my IP disappears, no access to the Modem.  What is happening?

Gordon