[lug] Little Network problem

John Hernandez jph at jph.net
Wed Sep 10 15:47:56 MDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org> wrote:
> Lori Reed wrote:
>> gordon.golding at colorado.edu wrote:
> [cut]
>>> I have a new PC.  Since I'll never have them up at once, I thougtht
>>> I'd add a little linksys hub and leave them both connected.  Then each
>>> should get an IP when it boots.
> [cut]
>> You need a NAT router/firewall rather than a hub.
>
> No he doesn't, because of "Since I'll never have them up at once..."
>
> However, it might make things easier if he did use one.

SOHO networking can be a real mess.  To add a bit to the confusion, I
suspect he already has a NAT router, since he claims to be getting .1
and .2 addresses, which (I'm guessing here) are 192.168.x or 10.x.  If
this is the case, he should be able to simply widen the mask and maybe
the DHCP pool on the existing router, assuming his ISP didn't cripple
it or lock him out.