[lug] Little Network problem

David Howland david.howland at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 22:07:32 MDT 2008

Most likely the DSL modem is providing NAT already. The 4 addresses
are most likely a network address, a broadcast address, your modem's
external IP and the IP of the gateway you will use (or your modem's
next hop).

A .2 address is fairly unlikely on the public internet if you're
already getting subnetted to that small of a range. I agree that
knowing the full address would be very helpful and give a lot of
information about what is going on.

If you're getting a 192.168.X.X address you might try setting a static
IP of the full .2 address incremented by one.
Set your modem (probably .1) as the gateway then try to hit its web interface.

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 6:34 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> Nate Duehr wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 10, 2008, at 10:18 AM, gordon.golding at colorado.edu wrote:
>>

>>> I have DSL.  As I understand it, I only have 1 IP because the mask limits
>>> me to 4: network, broadcast, .1 for the modem, .2 for ONE PC.
>>
>> Can you provide the full IP's, and not just the final octet?  It should
>> shed some light on what's going on for you there.
>
> And it might help to know the model of DSL modem.  It would be annoying if
> your ISP gave you one that doesn't do NAT.  But you can either replace it
> (or if that isn't allowed replace your ISP) or add a "DSL router" behind it.
>
> Dave

-- David Howland
-- Please do not send me Microsoft Word or Excel attachments.
-- http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html