[lug] Networking problem DSL modem

Nathan Berry nathan at nathan-berry.com
Thu Sep 11 14:38:23 MDT 2008

I just recently (yesterday) replaced my DSL modem.  So, if you have Qwest as
your ISP this may help.  If not, sorry.  Qwest sells/leases two modems.  The
M1000 with or without wireless and the 2701H D (?)  The M1000 has only one
hardwire port and a module you have to install on the top for wireless.  If
you have this modem and it is without the wireless option you may not be
able to increase the DHCP pool.  I have the 2701.  It has 4 hardwired ports
and wireless built in.  It is a very configurable modem.  It sound like you
definitely do not have this modem or you would not be having this problem.
I have no issues in changing the DHCP pool.

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:58 PM, gordon.golding at colorado.edu <
gordongoldin at aim.com> wrote:

> So - many good thoughts:
>
> Sorry - IP is 192.168.1.1 for DSL router ( or is it .0.1 ??  - hmmm, no
> brain cells).  I'm pretty sure that it just has the one address ( ie - 4
> addresses, network, gateway, my PC, broadcast).  They had to replace it at
> one point, so I don't remember the make/model, will get that at home.
>
> 1) >>>> Even if one machine is turned off, it may still be responding.  I
> think both machines have ""network power on" - so the ethernet cards must
> stay live and are probably fighting over the one available address.
>
> 2)>>>Some ISPs will restrict your modem to only server addresses to one MAC
> address.  It might react badly to you switching PCs unless you are
> also MAC spoofing.
>
> 3)  >>>SOHO networking can be a real mess.  To add a bit to the confusion,
> suspect he already has a NAT router, since he claims to be getting .1
> and .2 addresses, which (I'm guessing here) are 192.168.x or 10.x.  If
> this is the case, he should be able to simply widen the mask and maybe
> the DHCP pool on the existing router, assuming his ISP didn't cripple
> it or lock him out.
>
> This is a Great thought - they have to buy "on the market" stuff.  Maybe I
> can reconfigure what they sent to have a bigger pool.

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it - even if I have said it -
unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

-- Buddha

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind"

-- Albert Einstein