[lug] Networking problem DSL modem

David Howland david.howland at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 18:23:39 MDT 2008

I have Qwest as well and haven't had problems modifying the DHCP
server settings on modem/routers or just turning it off to run a dhcp
server on a box on the network.

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Nathan Berry <nathan at nathan-berry.com> wrote:
> I just recently (yesterday) replaced my DSL modem.  So, if you have Qwest as
> your ISP this may help.  If not, sorry.  Qwest sells/leases two modems.  The
> M1000 with or without wireless and the 2701H D (?)  The M1000 has only one
> hardwire port and a module you have to install on the top for wireless.  If
> you have this modem and it is without the wireless option you may not be
> able to increase the DHCP pool.  I have the 2701.  It has 4 hardwired ports
> and wireless built in.  It is a very configurable modem.  It sound like you
> definitely do not have this modem or you would not be having this problem.
> I have no issues in changing the DHCP pool.
>

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:58 PM, gordon.golding at colorado.edu
> <gordongoldin at aim.com> wrote:
>>
>> So - many good thoughts:
>>
>> Sorry - IP is 192.168.1.1 for DSL router ( or is it .0.1 ??  - hmmm, no
>> brain cells).  I'm pretty sure that it just has the one address ( ie - 4
>> addresses, network, gateway, my PC, broadcast).  They had to replace it at
>> one point, so I don't remember the make/model, will get that at home.
>>
>> 1) >>>> Even if one machine is turned off, it may still be responding.  I
>> think both machines have ""network power on" - so the ethernet cards must
>> stay live and are probably fighting over the one available address.
>>
>> 2)>>>Some ISPs will restrict your modem to only server addresses to one
>> MAC
>> address.  It might react badly to you switching PCs unless you are
>> also MAC spoofing.
>>
>> 3)  >>>SOHO networking can be a real mess.  To add a bit to the confusion,
>> suspect he already has a NAT router, since he claims to be getting .1
>> and .2 addresses, which (I'm guessing here) are 192.168.x or 10.x.  If
>> this is the case, he should be able to simply widen the mask and maybe
>> the DHCP pool on the existing router, assuming his ISP didn't cripple
>> it or lock him out.
>>
>> This is a Great thought - they have to buy "on the market" stuff.  Maybe I
>> can reconfigure what they sent to have a bigger pool.

>> Join us on IRC: lug.boulder.co.us port=6667 channel=#colug
>

> --
> "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it - even if I have said it -
> unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
>
> -- Buddha
>
> "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind"
>
> -- Albert Einstein

-- David Howland
-- Please do not send me Microsoft Word or Excel attachments.
-- http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html