[lug] USB wireless

John Dollison johndollison at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 16 00:01:49 MDT 2008

I've been researching this for myself as well, but I don't have hands-on experience yet.  I've read dozens of posts that say PCI works better if you want to spend the time and money for an external hi-gain antenna that can be mounted away from (preferably above) the PC; but USB devices often use the same receiver/transmitter chipset as PCI cards, and using a 3-to-4 foot USB cable makes it quick and easy to move the device around to maximize reception.  Most older posts (pre-2007) seem to recommend PCI, while most recent posts recommend USB (2.0 only).

The Ubuntu wiki has a page devoted to Wifi hardware support:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

And this website has several pages devoted to PCI & USB driver compatibility / support:
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Devices

I found several adapters (both PCI & USB) at NewEgg.com that got very good customer reviews that specifically mentioned performance under "Linux" or "Ubuntu"; but you have to poke around, since you can't search the reviews for keywords (as far as I know):
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=31&name=Wireless-Adapters

Shuttle, which makes the Linux-based KPC computer, uses the Shuttle PN15, PN18, and PN20 cards, which use the (apparently well-supported) Zydas chipset:
http://us.shuttle.com/MoreInfoPages/Wireless%20Module.htmlhttp://us.shuttle.com/barebone/Models/Accessory/PN20.html
http://www.directron.com/pn18.html

System76, another pre-installed Linux vendor, appears to use the Intel Pro Wireless 3945 & 4965 cards.

If that's not enough, a Google search for "USB vs. PCI wifi" turned up tons more info.--John DollisonWestminster, CO