[lug] How long will FC7 get security updates?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Sep 19 00:03:31 MDT 2008

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:15:03 -0600
davide.del.vento at gmail.com ("Davide Del Vento") wrote:

> >> I want to keep FC7 (skitzy software) for the next several months
> >
> > You can do that of course, but you will get no updates of any kind
> > for that system from offical Fedora sources.
>
> Yes, I'd like to underline ANY KIND. I think they should send out at
> least the most critical security update, but they don't.

It's not like it should be a surprise... the rapid cycle of Fedora
releases should be well known. Releases are supported for about 13
months (until 1 month past the next release). So, Fedora 8 will go end
of life 1 month after Fedora 10 is released.

> And that's why now I'm runny Hardy on all my machines, and I'll be
> sticky to it until the next Ubuntu LTS will be released - you might
> consider the same strategy.

Sure, if you want a slower moving release with a longer supported
lifecycle that's absolutely the way to go. I use CentOS in those cases,
but Ubuntu LTS is another good choice.

Note that you do want the LTS release of Ubuntu for this. Normal Ubuntu
releases are only supported for 18months (only a short time more than
Fedora releases).

> Bye.
> ;Dav

kevin