[lug] Installation of multiple Linux Instances

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Fri Sep 19 17:22:59 MDT 2008

Paravirtualization like Xen does have pretty nice performance.  Instead
of being forced to trap and emulate various features in the hypervisor,
the virtualized kernel can just call the functions provided by the
hypervisor.

Xen requires a Xen virtualized kernel, doesn't it?  Maybe Xen now
supports the VMI (CONFIG_PARAVIRT in the kernel I think?)  I think some
versions of VMware support VMI also.

But if you require the virtualized kernels to use VMI and the distros
don't have that option built into their kernels, then you aren't gaining
much.  You'd need to provide customized kernels for the installed
virtual machines.