[lug] Installation of multiple Linux Instances

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 19:48:23 MDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 1:18 PM, kevin kempter
<kevin at kevinkempterllc.com> wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> I have a new dev server. As an independent consultant I want to maximize
> it's use. Some of my clients use RedHat/CentOS 64 bit, others Redhat/CentOS
> 32bit, some are even using Fedora and Debian.
>
> Here's my thought:
>
> I'd like to install each OS/version into it's own space on the disk.  I'm
> thinking all I have to do is install one OS (say CentOS 64bit) and partition
> say 20% of the disk. Then once the install is done, boot into the latest
> fedora disk and do the same, etc.
>
> Is this correct ?
>
> Later I want to add a disk array and allocate a RAID mount point that can be
> mounted by any of the installed Linux'es when it's active.
>
> Is this do-able ? Easily ?

Yes it can be done quite easily, but as others have said A
Vmware/Xen/??? environment is ideal for this. Unless you intend to run
all VM instances concurrently, you should get decent performance.

The problem with multi-boot installations comes with booting them.
It's a real PITA to juggle the various versions concept of what should
be in the Grub menu with the one effective Grub you boot from. You get
to do this anytime a new kernel comes up for one of the distros. I've
done multi-boot for years, and trust me it's a royal pain.

--
Collins Richey