Fwd: [lug] Remote Healthcare Training for the Developing World pilot - advice needed!

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Tue Sep 23 16:30:09 MDT 2008

Gail asked a question, and I got some more details and am forwarding
them on.  And I'm cross-posting to the Colorado Ubuntu Linux Team and
changing it to excerpted-bottom-posting for sequential clarity....

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 02:57:41PM -0700, Gail Austin wrote:
> [...]
> vocabulary. The learning objects will include text, graphics, short videos,
> interactive exercises and full audio recorded by local speakers (to compensate
> for low literacy). Flash executables might be used to present the content with
> sychronized audio (I use Adobe Captivate now to develop
> SCORM-compliant interactive content objects in Flash for web delivery, but they
> can also be stored on users' PCs as executables, so at least this part I know I
> can do...).
>
> User Interface - I need a good opensource learning mgmt system (you suggested
> Moodle- others have as well- I need to figure out if it's practical to run
> freestanding rather than web-based). We used many wildly expensive COTS LMS's
> at Sun, and I admin a hosted EZLCMS site (much less expensive but also COTS)
> now for the nonprofit I work for.
>
> Features: A key feature of the pilot system is prescriptive interactivity.
> The goal is to give learners a tool to make sure they've learned the content,
> moving at their own pace, so they pass the certification exam. So the idea is
> to develop a (large) pool of questions, tagged to learning objects, which the
> system assembles into periodic exercises, drills and quizzes. At any point, the
> content or activity that is served next to the learner is determined by an
> algorithm based on the learner's performance up to that point. At Sun, once
> again we solved this with expensive COTS. So I need an open-source assessment
> tool and database that can store, assemble based on an algorithm, deliver and
> score interactive quizzes, storing the results in a database. Depending on
> what's out there, I may need to hire someone to write some add-on code to
> make this happen, since unfortunately I am no coder....
>
> Translation: Ultimately we'll need a good open source content management
> system for efficient language versioning of the base content. For the pilot,
> fortunately English will work. Assuming the pilot results are promising, we'll
> get funding to hire native speakers to translate the content to Hindi & go on
> from there.
>
> So do you think Ubuntu would be a good fit? I have an extra PC to use as a
> sandbox on the condition that I restore it when I return it. I'm thinking of
> using Ghost to back up the PC on an external hard drive (removing all software
> and data except Windows itself), and then partitioning the PC hard drive
> into Windows and Ubuntu partitions (Windows so I can run Ghost to restore the
> PC when needed), then installing the recommended stack for Moodle and Moodle
> itself (assuming all this even *fits* on a PC...), then try installing an open
> source assessment tool (trying each application out after installing it, esp
> Moodle and the assessment tool, to see how much of what I need done they can do
> out of the box).
>
> Having said all this, I've never partitioned a hard drive in my life, but

Who knows some good tools to correspond to what Gail is looking for?

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett                 http://mcburnett.org/neal/