Fwd: [lug] Remote Healthcare Training for the Developing World pilot - advice needed!

Chris McDermott csmcdermott at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 14:22:50 MDT 2008

I think Ubuntu would probably be a fine choice - it's definitely one
of the easiest distro's I've tried recently.  As for backing up the
hard drive in the test machine, I don't see any reason to partition
the hard drive or dual boot.  Just use Ghost (or actually, I prefer
Acronis - the home version is around $50 and they have trials and
discounts, etc:
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/) to make an
image of the drive and store that on an external drive somewhere safe.
 Then you can do whatever you like to the system, and when you're done
just restore the image you created.

As for the interactive learning part, I ran across an interesting
program a while back called Mnemeosyne.  It's not at all what you're
looking for - it's purely for flashcards, but it does keep track of
which questions you answer correctly and which you get wrong.  Then it
adjusts the frequency that those questions appear based on that
information.  So questions that you get right several times in a row
get shuffled to the back, so to speak, and will only show up very
rarely, to make sure you still remember the answer.  Questions you get
wrong will be repeated frequently until you start getting them right.
Anyway, it's open source and all that, so maybe the underlying engine
will be useful, or at least you could look at their algorithms.
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Education/Mnemosyne-34454.shtml.

Chris