[lug] motherboard recommendation

Jeffrey Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 16:35:42 MDT 2008

Steve,

A few months ago, at the BLUG meeting, folks were saying Amazon ECC can be a
convenient and cost-effective option for big, number-crunching jobs.

It lets you buy the cycles and configuration that you need, and pay by the
run, without having to buy or maintain hardware.

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Steve A Hart <Shart at colorado.edu> wrote:

> I was just wondering if anyone can suggest a RedHat Ent5 or Ubuntu
> compatible motherboard.  I'm going to be building a stand alone Linux system
> to do some major image processing/number crunching using IDL and ENVI.  I'm
> thinking about using an Intel Quad-core and having about 8GB of memory so
> the board will have to be able to support that as well.
>
> I'm just hoping anyone here has some ideas because knowing my luck, I'll
> pick the worst possible board in terms of compatibility!
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve
> --
> Steve Hart
> Systems Administrator
> Colorado Center for Astrodynamics Research
> University of Colorado Boulder
> shart at colorado.edu
> (303)492-8109

Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>