[lug] How do you keep your passwords safe while Paying bills and Day Trading at Work?

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 16:50:00 MDT 2008

> > Many people keep the whole browser and everything on a
> USB key for their
> > "important transactions"... I think
> that's probably going too far... but
> > it's one thing that's "done" out
> there.
>
> Nah.  Going too far might be using one of those USB keys
> that also
> encrypts the keyboard (which you bring yourself to protect
> against
> keyloggers in the keyboard hardware, naturally).  The
> software running
> from the USB key handles the keyboard decrypt. :-)
>
> I swear I saw this online somewhere.  Unless it was a
> Thinkgeek April
> Fools joke.

if i was traveling a lot (on an extended world wide trip) and wanted to login from inet cafes to post to a blog, email or god forbid make a rare banking transaction, i actually might be in the market for one of those gadgets (even if they don't exist ;-)).

anybody have a recommendation for these types of situations?  i'm not sure anything can really be done in these cases due to the keylogging potential.

would it be possible to have putty or something on a usb stick and tunnel back to a trusted server?  even in that case, i imagine the keylogger could sniff out all the credentials being typed locally.

interesting topic.