[lug] Looking for a laptop...

Mike Stanczyk stanczyk at pcisys.net
Fri Oct 24 10:15:03 MDT 2008

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, David L. Anselmi wrote:

> Interesting.  Compaq used to be notorious for doing stupid things that made
> your hardware less usable than it should be.  I thought they were over it
> long ago.

Ummm, no.  This laptop also has the trusted hardware "feature" too.  The
laptop has the internal wireless card slot but you must put in an approved
wireless card or the laptop will not boot.  My friendly local computer store
has tried 8 different cards all that fail.

> I'll take it if you're throwing it away.  It would be interesting to see what
> combinations of partitions work/don't work.  I don't need more than 160GB in
> a partition (Windows doesn't get any and Linux happily makes them all look
> like one).

Well, the final fate of the laptop is undecided.  It will run linux fine on
a smaller hard drive.  I'd like to recoop a little money (and karma) out of
this thing.

Mike