[lug] Recovering RAID config?

Elyse M. Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Tue Oct 28 09:42:26 MDT 2008

Is there a good tutorial somewhere on piecing the config tables of a RAID
setupback together on Fedora?

I upgraded a server that was still at Fedora 7 to 8 and my RAID config tables
seem to have gotten trashed. The Fedora 9 installer was able to bring the
system the rest of the way forward, so I can use current tools and only need
to fix this once. On boot the system reports problems when it tries to run
/sbin/mdadm, and the fsck fails (scrolling the mdadm messages off the console).

I think it hosed the grub install too, but I seem to have that working.

In rescue mode I can see all of the data, and it looks like the 4 physical
drives are ok. The old UUIDs in the fstab seem to be bad. The output of fdisk
-l in rescue mode complains that things don't contain valid partition tables
and includes mentions of
/dev/md0   106 MB
/dev/md1   209.7 GB
/dev/md2   419.4 GB
/dev/md3   209.7 GB
/dev/md4   360.5 GB
/dev/dm-0  360.5 GB
/dev/dm-1  209.6 GB
in additiona to the physical partitions.

The mount points are being reported in rescue mode as:
/dev/md0 on /boot
/dev/md1 on /home
/dev/md2 on /data
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on /
/dev/mapper/VolGroup01-LogVol00 on /var

/etc/fstab mentions /dev/md0, /dev/md1 and /dev/md2 as listed above, but has
UUID=9ab9af32-1136-411d-84d0-92bc234b5346 / ext3 defaults 1 1
UUID=085d1d54-c89c-448f-a0db-4fb079e0f1e /var ext3 defaults 1 2

I'm not sure those UUIDs exist any more...

mdadm.conf (after being stepped on by anaconda yesterday) reports 4 devices
for each array, with md0 at raid1, md1 and md4 at raid10, and md2 and md3 at
raid0

/var and /home seem to be upsetting ef2fsck the most, so it seems like the
raid 10s are having the most problems.

I would appreciate any pointers to good information on how to fix this.

Thanks
--
Elyse Grasso

http://www.data-raptors.com    Computers and Technology