[lug] Debian App DNS Issues

John Starkey jstarkey at breezedev.com
Wed Oct 29 16:51:28 MDT 2008

Nate Duehr wrote:

> Is this a mobile machine, or does it stay on the same network?  DHCP
> or static?
Static desktop on my SOHO network.

> Ultimately, whatever is in /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf are
> controlling what the DNS resolver on the system is going to give to
> applications running on it.

Any idea what actually hits those files and sends back to the app
though? I'm wondering if the vanilla apps are hitting a DNS library  or
binary other than the ones the Deb repo apps are. As I mentioned
Iceweasel (Deb's Firefox) works out of the box, but if I install a fresh
FF download from the site there's no DNS resolution.

So the vanilla apps seem to only care about what /etc/hosts says and
skip DNS all together.
> I'm curious what IP address your system is trying to resolve from...
> I've seen some DHCP servers in cheap SoHo routers hand out their own
> internal address and then try to proxy DNS requests for all the
> "internal" machines that REALLY suck, performance-wise, and sometimes
> they're just flat-out broken.
Nah, this is all homegrown BIND9, static IP, etc. But everything is
point at it being between the app and the OS. The network has 7 servers
on 3 zones running ~80 VPS's (web development network) that are all
resolving fine.

> Boil it down to basics.  When it breaks, see if /etc/resolv.conf is
> correct.  If it's not... that's the troubleshooting target to hunt down.
resolv.conf is static on my machine. I think I remember something
changing it earlier in the year and I went on a hunting expedition to
get rid of it.

Thanks,

John

--