[lug] EVDO or GPRS developer?

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Sat Nov 1 10:09:45 MDT 2008

I'm look for someone to get EVDO and/or GPRS working on CentOS 4.5.
This is for a fast-growing non-profit (freiker.org), and your work
will be open source (LGPL 2.1) along with the rest of our software.
If you are good at what you do, you'll make money on the project.  If
you want to learn about EVDO/GPRS, this is a good way to get paid to
do so. :-)

If you are interested, the first step is to download the tarball:
http://www.freiker.org/tech/wiki/Software

Read uploader.PL.  This program controls the network connection.
You'll have to modify it to include the option of searching for a
cellphone device (may not be there) and trying to connect based on
local configuration (may not be there, either).  This may include a
custom kernel build, but we think we can avoid that.

If you want to learn more about the device (Freikometer), please
visit: http://www.freiker.org/tech/blog

Background: The Freikometer operates autonomously and can be
controlled remotely.  It is installed by volunteers all over the U.S.
We have had numerous problems connectiong school networks.  Reliance
on school or other available WiFi has not worked.  The only
alternative we see is a cellphone-based solution.  Unfortunately, no
one has time to work on it.

Your proposal must include:

* Fixed bid
* Completion data (assume 11/13/08 start)
* Modified uploader.PL defining entry points you may need to complete
  your work.  The code must compile.

Bonus points:

* A unit and/or acceptance test for your part of uploader.PL

I'm not going to answer questions about the code or the project.  If
you can't figure it out, don't apply.  All bids will be considered.
Send replies directly to me.  Submission deadline 11/9.  Companies,
people out of work, students, etc. are all welcome to submit a
proposal.

Thanks and good luck!

Rob

P.S. Freiker has a limited budget.  However, if you prove your mettle,
you *may* be considered for more work at bivio Software (bivio.biz).
bivio is currently extremely resource-constrained.  We are always
looking for the "right" people.  We are not interested in resumes,
CVs, or even how smart you are so don't try to impress me. :-)