[lug] access to audio from non-desktop login

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Nov 11 13:34:12 MST 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 11:48 -0700, Hugh Brown wrote:
> Assuming that Fedora 9 is similar to RHEL 5.2: permissions for audio related devices are set by pam_console and configurable in /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms
> You can create an audio group and put both userids in it and alter the default.perms to set the group.

Haven't looked at this one yet.  I'll give it a try later and see what
comes.  The other possibility lies with running PulseAudio for multiple
users, as in:
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/SystemWideInstance

Haven't tried this one yet either.  They all seem rather convoluted to
me.  I miss the good old days when nothing was secured and black hats
were only in westerns and bad film noir.

> This doesn't scale if you have to share the workstation with lots of other folks.

Nope.  Just me.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org