[lug] Accessing FC5 drive on new FC9 install

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Tue Nov 18 20:55:18 MST 2008

Patrick Mullen wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've searched the archive and I found a thread on this before.  My
> apologies, but I have not been able to take that information and then
> gain access to my old drive.  I'm missing something so I'm hoping you
> can help me out.
>
> The previous thread is here:
> http://archive.lug.boulder.co.us/Week-of-Mon-20080602/036631.html
>
> Anyway, both my old (FC5) and new (FC9) drives were part of VolGroup00
> but my old drive did not have any LogVol as far as I could tell.  And
> I didn't have VolGroup01 as it seems that person had.  So, after much
> ado, I eventually removed my old FC5 partition from VolGroup00 and
> added it to VolGroup01.  But I'm still unable to access it.
>
> Hopefully, I can just paste this output from /sbin/lvm and you can
> piece together the rest so I can finally mount my old data.  /dev/sda
> is my new (FC9) drive, /dev/sdb is my old (FC5) drive:
>
> lvm> lvdisplay
>   --- Logical volume ---
>   LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
>   VG Name                VolGroup00
>   LV UUID                HyayjK-Sgsp-y1mu-4SP7-ECfd-ZA7D-w2tMTb
>   LV Write Access        read/write
>   LV Status              available
>   # open                 1
>   LV Size                277.22 GB
>   Current LE             8871
>   Segments               1
>   Allocation             inherit
>   Read ahead sectors     auto
>   - currently set to     256
>   Block device           253:0
>
>   --- Logical volume ---
>   LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
>   VG Name                VolGroup00
>   LV UUID                fiNzLH-s0ax-CgY9-Opna-maFT-vaec-1JlYKZ
>   LV Write Access        read/write
>   LV Status              available
>   # open                 1
>   LV Size                1.94 GB
>   Current LE             62
>   Segments               1
>   Allocation             inherit
>   Read ahead sectors     auto
>   - currently set to     256
>   Block device           253:1
>
> lvm> pvdisplay
>   --- Physical volume ---
>   PV Name               /dev/sdb2
>   VG Name               VolGroup01
>   PV Size               148.91 GB / not usable 4.15 MB
>   Allocatable           yes
>   PE Size (KByte)       4096
>   Total PE              38120
>   Free PE               38120
>   Allocated PE          0
>   PV UUID               VlPRqf-mNw1-WnOH-2GlM-jJq4-f0Yh-cU0mr9
>
>   --- Physical volume ---
>   PV Name               /dev/sda2
>   VG Name               VolGroup00
>   PV Size               279.20 GB / not usable 10.95 MB
>   Allocatable           yes
>   PE Size (KByte)       32768
>   Total PE              8934
>   Free PE               1
>   Allocated PE          8933
>   PV UUID               1RB3NX-GqD2-Ye5H-JMvy-GT2W-r0XQ-Sl1kOf

> [...]

 From the looks of it, you've re-initialized /dev/sdb2 and lost
convenient access to the data that was there.  The Allocated PE of 0 on
/dev/sdb2 says it's a fresh physical volume and there's nothing on it.

If you were hoping for old data on /dev/sdb2, you'd need to read the raw
data on /dev/sdb2 and have some means for making sense of it (i.e. be
able to do data recovery on a professional level).

If you are asking how to make use of the disk on your new system, you
just need to make sure the volume group is active and then create a
logical volume on it.  After you make the logical volume, format it and
mount it and start using it.

Hugh