[lug] Accessing FC5 drive on new FC9 install

Patrick Mullen pmullen.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 07:17:55 MST 2008

> When you say "removed from VolGroup00", how exactly did you add and remove

Going through my command history, I have something along the lines of --

pvremove -ff /dev/sdb2
[reboot because I still couldn't create VolGroup01]
vgreduce VolGroup00 /dev/sdb2 (I think this was actually done before
pvremove, repeated just as confirmation it was removed)
vgcreate VolGroup01 /dev/sdb2

The next step would/could be --
   lvcreate VolGroup01 /dev/sdb2
except that seems to be deep into the "destroy data" step.

So, have I trashed the system?  Can I create a logical volume on
/dev/sdb2 of the same size as before and regain my data?  I do not
think I've done anything to "format" the partition, so in theory I
just need to tell the system to use the data that is there.

Any hints?

Thanks,

~Patrick