[lug] Help with email issues

Kevin Kempter kevin at kevinkempterllc.com
Thu Nov 20 16:53:18 MST 2008

Hi All;

I'm hoping someone can help me with some strange email issues.

I can send emails to most anyone except for the postgresql email lists. I've
pinged 'em several times - even the list admins but I dont think my mails are
getting through.

At one point I tried to send an email to the list and I got this message back:

=====================================
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at outboundproxy6.

<pgsql-admin at postgresql.org>:
200.46.204.86 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 504 5.5.2 <outboundproxy6>: Helo command rejected: need
fully-qualified hostname
Giving up on 200.46.204.86.

--- Enclosed are the original headers of the message.

=====================================

I did some google  searches and found lots of messages like this (they all
seem to be related to this 200.46.204.86 IP):

Can you perhaps track it down through the logfiles on the MX machine,
using the ESMTP id of the last hop out of postgresql.org/hub.org?

Since it appears to be a mail hosting company who *also* happens to use
postini/google for their antispam, it can be pretty much any domainname
at all, I think... And we can't very well null-route any address who
uses postini as their relayers, becuase loads of legit users do that...

//Magnus

<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

>> Is there a way to not only purge the lists of these bozos, but prevent
>> future signups?  I've not only had enough of seeing them duplicating
>> posts onto the lists, I've had much more than enough of mail bounces
>> originating in their forging my address as envelope sender for such
>> regurgitations.  I suppose everyone else who posts to the lists gets
>> the same.  It's past time for a zero tolerance policy.
>
>> 			regards, tom lane

I did a ping on my mail server :

$ ping mail.kevinkempterllc.com
PING kevinkempterllc.com (69.89.20.54) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from box54.bluehost.com (69.89.20.54): icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=84.5
ms

and I checked the main IP my firewall is getting from comcast

neither of them is anything like the  200.46.204.86 IP

I'm pretty good with Linux but I'm more of a DBA - the email/network areas are
far far from my skill set

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance...