[lug] Help with email issues

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Nov 20 22:27:33 MST 2008

Kevin Kempter wrote:
> I can send emails to most anyone except for the postgresql email lists.

Here are some of the received headers on your post:

     by outboundproxy4.bluehost.com with SMTP; 20 Nov 2008 23:53:23 -0000

They are in reverse order.  Your mail host (for this anyway) is box505
but then you have to traverse at least one other machine to get to the 'net.

> At one point I tried to send an email to the list and I got this message back:
>
> =====================================
> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at outboundproxy6.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>
> <pgsql-admin at postgresql.org>:
> 200.46.204.86 does not like recipient.
> Remote host said: 504 5.5.2 <outboundproxy6>: Helo command rejected: need
> fully-qualified hostname
> Giving up on 200.46.204.86.
>
> --- Enclosed are the original headers of the message.

The error is from mail.postgresql.org (200.46.204.86) wanting a fully
qualified name from outboundproxy6.  That's a misconfiguration from your
provider and you probably can't fix it--talk to them.

Do you get this error every time you post?

If not, do you run your own SMTP server?  You can potentially simulate
posting and see what the postgresql server says about your mail.  You'd
be missing some pieces but maybe that would show you the problem.  Use
telnet, or exim has a simulation mode.

Dave