[lug] attempted breakins - trend up

Landon Cox landon at 360vl.com
Fri Nov 21 13:23:42 MST 2008

I run denyhosts on my boxes which are internet facing and I've seen
numerous new IP addresses flagged for breakin attempts.  These are
just IP addresses that I haven't already received notification of from
denyhosts.

If you look at the stats at denyhosts, there's been a signifcant
uptick in the number of denied hosts reported in the last several days.

http://stats.denyhosts.net/stats.html

I'm sure there are probably other packages like denyhosts out there,
but I highly recommend it - especially the community data sharing part
of it.

Landon Cox
http://sawdust.see-do.org