E-mail etiquette (was: Re: [lug] phantom irc traffic)

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Nov 22 08:06:58 MST 2008

Hugh Brown wrote:
> My apologies.  I thought about trimming right as I clicked send.  It
> also seems that top/bottom posting really is a vi vs. emacs sort of
> thing, along with reply to list vs. reply to sender.

No, it's not vi vs. emacs.  Your editor is a personal, private choice.
Your email is for other people.  So there is email etiquette but not
editor etiquette.

Regardless what people might like to write, does anyone on the list
prefer reading top-posted messages?  Not as in "it doesn't matter,
depends, for some replies it's OK," but as in "oh no, another
bottom-post--I have to get off this list!"

It seems to me that the culture on this list, and others like it, is not
to top-post.  We have found replying below quoted text to be a useful
practice.

You've seen web forums that present a thread on one page.  Do they put
the most recent post at the top?  No.

When writing other people, whose email experience doesn't include
mailing lists, top-posting might be more appropriate.  But even then, if
I have multiple thoughts in reply to different parts of their message
I'll reply below their quotes.

Dave