[lug] USB drive fix

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Nov 22 08:20:25 MST 2008

Landon Cox wrote:
> but every morning when I'd look at my cron notifications, I would
> discovery that the backup failed because the file system was
> read-only.

By any chance did your mount say that on errors it should be remounted
read-only?

> Nov 19 07:29:54 hurricane kernel: [724306.332797] lost page write due to
> I/O error on sdb1
[...]
> echo 1 > /sys/block/$1/device/scsi_disk:*/allow_restart

Interesting.  I have a USB drive that spins down and takes a second to
spin back up when needed.  But it already allows restarts.  So I wonder
whether this is just an Ubuntu problem?

(The internal drive on my laptop doesn't allow restarts but it doesn't
seem to cause any problems.  Maybe it doesn't spin down.)

Dave