[lug] video / web cams

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 22 15:15:36 MST 2008

I'm gonna finally get one of these suckers.

Anybody want to chime in a recommendation?

Are these suckers pretty much all the same?  Does paying for more buy me something extra and if so what?

>From where I sit, the basic ability to have myself represented somewhat close to my real being versus looking like a frog during real time skype is mostly what I want.  I imagine that's a resolution issue.

On the otherhand, i could see myself possibly recording in NON real time.  Possibly to post the video elsewhere for later viewing.  So res quality and other useful recording features might be boons.

I'm interested in something that records the most universal format (whatever that is) for later editing with a variety of video editing packages (whatever they may be) and then en or Re-en coding for mass distro if desired.

I'm thinking folk on the list have gone through the exercise of buying one only to find out it didn't do what they wanted or they outgrew it as their needs and desires changed.  I'm trying to buy what I need up front even if it costs more to stymie the upgrade process and hastle.

thanks