[lug] Re: E-mail etiquette

Jeffrey Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 09:08:41 MST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 8:09 AM, Rob Nagler <nagler at bivio.biz> wrote:

> It is interesting, though, that the "killer app" is email, and we
> still haven't "gotten it right" (whatever that means).
>
> Rob

In a related vein, some folks seem to treat email as letters, others as text
messages.  I'm more the latter.   I'd guess the distribution to be bimodal,
not a spread around a middle, though I haven't tested it.

I have one friend almost all of whose email goes on for pages.  And I don't
mean three, I mean thirty.  Me, I usually stick to what shows on-screen.

True for reading, too: if I get a 10-page message, I'll read the first
paragraph -- or, if I like the person, the first *and* the last.  All else,
I archive.

It's not logical, either.  I'll skim through 20, one-page emails, but not
slog through one, 15-page email.  If I have to read something long, I'll
print it first.

Anyone else have this unproductive response?

--
Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell]