E-mail etiquette (was: Re: [lug] phantom irc traffic)

Matt James matuse at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 25 08:57:37 MST 2008

I have switched to using gmail almost exclusively for my e-mail now.  I find
it interesting that it does some "thread" views automatically and "posts"
the most recent content at the bottom.  What's interesting is that when you
reply to a message, it is a top post by default.  One nice feature of gmail
is that it automatically hides all the quoted text and auto colapses all the
conversation threads I've already read.  So now, I don't care if you top
post, bottom post, in line post, side post, fence post, or whatever - I can
still read it and get the information I need without any problem.

FWIW, I really liked David's point about "when in Rome."  The point is that
some people prefer or are used to posting a certain way and when that
doesn't fit into the "culture" of their e-mail environment then others in
that "culture" get confused and or upset.  I would liken it to speaking a
different language.  If you're in an english speaking country then you'll
probably get what you want faster, and more accuratly when speaking
english.  If you're in India though, you have to know multiple languages to
get what you want.  Those that are multi-lingual and who can "go with the
flow" are all around better off.

So what's the moral of my story - I guess it's learn both.  The more
agnostic one becomes in terms of communication, the better they are at
communicating.  IMHO.

Happy Tuesday to all.

Matt