[lug] Fixed-width fonts for email?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Dec 5 15:36:03 MST 2008

Jeffrey Haemer wrote:
> Normally, I try to avoid thread-hijacking -- modifying Subject lines --
> because it foils threaded readers.  In this particular case, however, I'll
> try forking Bear's response with a new Subject line, to give folks a
> separate place to discuss his separate topic.
[...]
> I suspect most mail clients permit filtering of various sorts.  For example,
> my usual client, Gmail, lets me "mute" a thread that I'm not interested in
> with a single keystroke.  The entire thread, and all future contributions,
> get redirected to my personal bit-bucket.
>
> Unfortunately, if I mute this thread now, I won't see focused answers to my
> own, original question. :-)

So can you mute just Bear's reply and follow-ups to it, rather than the

Am I hijacking your thread now to talk about muting rather than fixed
width fonts?

But it's sort of the nature of conversations to take different paths
depending on which of several ideas is emphasized.  And you have to
admit that you introduced both ideas.  Sure, it seems reasonable that
you were more interested in the font idea.  But Bear wasn't.

Now if we want to talk about Christmas parties, that's hijacking. ;-)

Dave