[lug] Camera recommendations

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Dec 13 00:59:18 MST 2008

dio2002 at indra.com wrote:
> you ever gotten more than 4x6 prints?  maybe once in awhile you've
> gotten some 5x7s.  but most folks don't do 8x10.  (the advent of home

This is probably good advice if your primary output medium is printing.
There are people out there though who don't care about printing.  I am one
of them and I often find that I'm running up against the limits of what the
camera will give me once I'm done cropping and otherwise adjusting.

The FinePix is great in low light, but I still wish it had much less noise
so that the results didn't look so darn grainy.

> i say that based on what someone told me a couple of years ago which was
>  that the best digital camera sensor will never beat out even basic 35mm
> slr *film* in terms of image quality.

Never is a long time.  That said, a friend of mine several years ago was
getting into serious digital photography, and he followed some research
that said that after you drum scan the 35mm film, about the best resolution
you are going to get is around 13mpix.

Given my experience with film and printing photos, mostly in plus-x-pan and
tri-x-pan B&W in the distant past, I'd totally buy this.

> something that provides good flash options (from a decent entry level up
> to a more sophistacted [read expensive] option).  sensor that provides
> higher resolution printed images, and higher shutter speeds / fps.

I've been seriously tempted to get an external unit with a sensor that
fires when it detects the built-in flash go.  This would really go a long
way towards making the unit more usable in some lower light situations,
without having to get a big camera.

Sean