[lug] Current RedHat info needed

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Wed Dec 17 16:27:34 MST 2008

Kenneth D Weinert wrote:

> I'm not a RH user and I just downloaded an evaluation package for work
> that's set up to run on Linux.
>
> The file name includes rh72-gcc34 and I presume that means it's for
> RedHat 7.2 and compiled with gcc 3.4.
>
> To me, this seems a bit old, but when I tried looking up the current
> RH versions I see "Enterprise 5" and I wasn't able to sort out how the
> two versions relate.
>
> Before I get back to the vendor and ask, I thought I'd ask here to
> ensure that I have done due diligence on keeping my foot out of my
> mouth :)
>
> Thanks for any info - links to descriptive information gladly accepted.
>
> Ken

Redhat 7.2 was back before the enterprise version was created and the
consumer version was dropped.  After 7.2 they got up to 9 and then
created the Fedora project to serve the non-paying folk.  Redhat
Enterprise Linux (RHEL) had the long lived support/unchangingness that
large ISVs wanted and versions 3, 4, and 5 are all currently supported.
  The latest version in the enterprise line is 5.  They'd do minor
version updates periodically and used to call them RHEL3 update 7, now
it will get called RHEL 3.7.  The most recent of the 5 is 5.2 and 5.3 is
in beta.

So, you've done due diligence.  RH7.2 is rather old (by linux distro
release standards).

So releases between rh7.2 and RHEL 5.2 are:

7.2 7.3 8.0 9
RHEL 2.1, 3, 4, 5

with the RHEL 3,4,5 all having multiple minor releases.

Hugh