[lug] What would you like to know about Asterisk?

Matt James matuse at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 15:27:05 MST 2008

> So, what can I tell you about Asterisk?

I'd be interested to know how this interfaces to the telco network.  What
hardware is required if you have a PSTN line, T1, ISDN, Stand alone DSL,
fiber?  How does one go about obtaining a phone number to use with such a
device?  I guess I'm still not 100% clear on how that all works.

Once I have "service" to the box - what kinds of phones / devices can I use
with it?  Standard alalog phones (like cheapy target ones)?  VoIP phones
(Cisco, Polycom)?  Softphones? etc.

How does this all work with a "real" firewall or NAT device?  what ports are
used?  etc etc...

I'm pretty much a newbie to the whole VoIP landscape - maybe this meeitng
wouldn't be for me - but this is what I'm interested in.  I'll also take a
look at your links.

Matt James