[lug] What would you like to know about Asterisk?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Dec 18 11:36:43 MST 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 15:12 -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> Next month I'm going to be talking at BLUG about Asterisk.  In order to
> tune the talk to the audience, I'd like to hear what kinds of things the
> list members would like to hear about.

Being in the 'Springs I can never make it to BLUG, so if possible could
you record or transcribe the meeting and post it to the web site?
Personally, I'd like to know if I could use Asterisk as a filtering
system on our land lines at home.  I'd like to be able to either disable
the phones at certain times or pick up the phone when it recognizes the
incoming number and play an "out of service" tone.  This is to try and
prevent a collection agency from annoying us (they've got the wrong guy
but haven't taken us off their automated calling system).

Also, what kind of off the shelf PC hardware works with this?  The
Asterisk site lists Digium's harware but I was wondering if simply modem
cards would suffice for the simplest configurations.

If I can figure out how to use it at home I might consider taking into
work to extend the services we have there.  A loooong time ago I worked
for Nortel programming PBXs, but that was a looooooong time ago and I
was much younger....

--
Michael J. Hammel
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org / http://www.graphics-muse.org