[lug] What would you like to know about Asterisk?

Landon Cox landon at 360vl.com
Thu Dec 18 12:35:40 MST 2008

On Dec 17, 2008, at 3:12 PM, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> So, what can I tell you about Asterisk?

Like several others, I have no prior experience with Asterisk or PBX's
in general.  Here are some questions:

What does an entry-level, starter Asterisk system look like in a home
- what can it do?

How much would it realistically cost?

Suggest a starter system and configuration?  How to get your feet wet.

Does the home need to be star-wired, punch downs and all, to benefit
from Asterisk?

What features would be or not be available based on various common in-
home wiring configurations?

I like the question another reader asked related to call filtering -
Can all calls from a given list of numbers make it through
automatically, the rest get routed to automated message capture?

Family message mailboxes and custom greetings?

Remote management?

Integration with any home automation systems?  (I want to be able to
call in, turn on my electric blanket...that sort of stuff.)

I realize these are severely basic questions.  If they're not
appropriate for the talk you want to give, feel free to ignore or
point out good resources :-)

Landon