[lug] RE: LUG Digest, Vol 62, Issue 13

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Dec 18 12:57:44 MST 2008

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 09:44:28 -0700
philburt stortsky <ppld.phil.stortz at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a hardware  compatibility list for linux that list all the
> currently supported hardware that i could download and pring? I'd
> like to print out such a list so i can check the list while i'm at a
> store rather than trying to check something online and then back to
> the store to buy what works.  currently i'm specifically interested
> in wifi and video cards.  I'd also like to know if any of the digital
> tv recievers are compatible.  I'm currently using open suse but i
> plan to try other distro's as well once i'm more familiar with
> linux.  eventually i plan to work on drivers. thanks.

There isn't any such list I know of... anything like that tends to get
out of date quickly, have problems with vendors changing chipsets
without changing model numbers and such problems.

I would reccomend you take a live cd/usb key for the distro you are
going to run, and try booting it on the machines you are interested in
buying. At least in the cases where they have a demo machine sitting
there, most places don't care if you reboot it to test before buying.

kevin