[lug] OT: netbook opinions?

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.com
Sun Jan 4 14:58:31 MST 2009

Nick asked:

> Has anyone had a chance to play with any of the recent netbook
> offerings?  Care to share an opinion on any of them?

I picked up a Dell Inspiron Mini 9 when it first came out a few months
ago.  Love it.  It comes with Ubuntu pre-installed (although I
installed Kubuntu as soon as I powered it up, heh).  It's the size of a
hardcover book, very sleek, and completely silent.  The keyboard is
pretty tight-- as with all netbooks-- but from reviews I've read, it's
bigger than the Acer keyboards.

One complaint is the lack of a big disk.  I bought the 16GB model (the
biggest they have) but it's amazing how quickly you run out of space
these days.  Still, if you're using it for pretty lightweight tasks
like browsing, e-mail, and documents, you should have plenty of room.

My only other complaint is the terrible sound quality.  The speakers are
(necessarily) tiny and sound like crap.  Headphones are okay.  But
really, you're not buying a netbook because you want a sweet multimedia
machine, are you? :)

$0.02,
Jeff