[lug] OT: netbook opinions?

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Sun Jan 4 21:06:51 MST 2009

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:45, Nick Golder <nrg at nirgo.net> wrote:
> Has anyone had a chance to play with any of the recent netbook
> offerings?  Care to share an opinion on any of them?

I use an ASUS EEE PC.  The 901 model I consider to be the *almost*
perfect travel computer.  Very long battery life (8+ hours), easy to
use keybaord (warning: many don't like its small size, but I have no
difficulty), and a solid state disk standard in the $450 cost (a must
for my use).  The only fault I have with it is the network card it
comes with doesn't get a good signal.  But that can be easily upgraded
by the user.

I highly recommend it.  Unfortunately, Asus is soon going to stop
making the EEE PC 901 in favor of a slightly larger size model.  I've
tried it out and don't really see any benefit.  Larger screen and
keyboard, but significantly shorter battery life.  Not worth the
tradeoff.

--David