[lug] OT: netbook opinions?

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Mon Jan 5 16:11:09 MST 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 15:03, karl horlen <horlenkarl at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I use an ASUS EEE PC.  The 901 model I consider to be the
>> *almost*
>> perfect travel computer.  Very long battery life (8+
>> hours), easy to
>> use keybaord (warning: many don't like its small size,
>> but I have no
>> difficulty), and a solid state disk standard in the $450
>> cost (a must
>> for my use).
>
> as per my other post, any thoughts on how fast the solid state drives are in real life useage, external dvd playback, external audio playback sound quality and external monitor resolution / quality (if you've tried any of the latter)

One other note on the solid state disk (SSD) in the EEE PC:  It is
relatively small (20GB), only marginally faster than a laptop hard
disk, and only marginally more power efficient.  If you need lots of
data storage, you will be using SD cards.

However, the SSD has one HUGE advantage which offsets the drawbacks
for me:  shock tolerance.  At the price you are paying for the EEE PC,
that is really the only significant benefit of the SSD over a
conventional HD.  This is very important to me in a travel
computer...if it isn't to you, look into other models which use a
standard hard disk.

Lots of useful information here: http://www.eeeuser.com

--David