[lug] OT: netbook opinions?

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Mon Jan 5 16:04:45 MST 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 15:03, karl horlen <horlenkarl at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I use an ASUS EEE PC.  The 901 model I consider to be the
>> *almost*
>> perfect travel computer.  Very long battery life (8+
>> hours), easy to
>> use keybaord (warning: many don't like its small size,
>> but I have no
>> difficulty), and a solid state disk standard in the $450
>> cost (a must
>> for my use).
>
> as per my other post, any thoughts on how fast the solid state drives are in real life useage, external dvd playback, external audio playback sound quality and external monitor resolution / quality (if you've tried any of the latter)

The SSD is comparable to a standard laptop disk, or a bit
faster...nothing top of the line.  I use my EEE PC constantly and
never need to wait on disk IO, only CPU.  The CPU itself is pitiful
compared to a desktop, but more than adequate for my needs when
traveling.  I play DVDs both off of SD cards (slot built-in to the
system), and via wifi.  Both work flawlessly.

As for audio quality.....I've not really experimented.  If I need
portable quality audio, I use an MP3 player dedicated to the task.

>> The only fault I have with it is the network
>> card it
>> comes with doesn't get a good signal.  But that can be
>> easily upgraded
>> by the user.
>
> upgraded by popping a cover or just by slapping in a usb card?

Pop off the back cover, unplug the old card, plug in the new.  RAM is
upgradeable to 2GB just as easily.

--David