[lug] CLIQ redux

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Jan 7 20:03:23 MST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 21:03 -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> Maybe it's a better idea to try the waters with another of those things
> that we had before the CLIQ that kind of lead to it.  I can't remember what
> we called it, but it was the thing we had at NIST with the few dozen booths
> and then people literally cramming into the available space...  1999-ish or
> so?  I guess we called it the "Mini Expo".

Ah.  One of these:

http://search.luky.org/cola.1998/msg01786.html

I remember there being pictures of at least one of those events.  I
probably have them buried in my boxes of old prints.  '99 was the first
CLIQ so maybe this was the one that lead to CLIQ.

I think we can be relatively certain Mark Bolzern won't be there.  Still
a few of those other names floating around, though.

> Sponsors?  Evelyn says that advertising often goes up when the economy goes
> down, which I can see the point for.

Maybe.  It was kind of hard to get sponsors to cover the costs for CLIQ
when things were going well.  Mostly we'd need sponsors to cover costs
of the facility unless that was donated.  The idea should be to bring in
as many people as possible without charging them (or charging very
little to defray costs).

An expo would be kind of nice.  Something less formal but more than an
installfest.  Maybe just filled with informal BoFS outside of the booth
area.

Any thoughts on where we might do this?  The Tech Center Marriott was
nice but at best we'd probably only could afford one room, like the one
we did reservations in for CLIQ.  Other ideas?

--
Michael J. Hammel
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org / http://www.graphics-muse.org