[lug] some of my pix from the fire

Tom Christiansen tchrist at perl.com
Mon Jan 12 00:06:06 MST 2009

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 16:07:52 MST jeremy at hinegardner.org wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 03:01:39PM -0700, Tom Christiansen wrote:

>> At

>>     http://67.173.243.230/Dakota-Ridge-Fire/index.html

>> please find some of the shots I took all night Wednesday of
>> the "little" fire (1400/3600 acres or so) back behind my house
>> a-ways. Most have had no editing (or the filenames would say
>> so by being called -alt or -crop).

> I made some images of the fire myself, these are all taken from
> N 21st street just north of Hwy 36 off of Yarmouth.  It[']s not
> too far from where they held some of the press conferences.

>    http://flickr.com/photos/copiousfreetime/sets/72157612308224202/show/

Strangely, very strangely, for me that page fails to display in Firefox: meaning:

    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; OpenBSD i386; en-US; rv:1.8.1.16)
    Gecko/20080812 Firefox/2.0.0.16

Normally I'd just use the Opera port for Linux, but since the update to
OpenBSD 4.4, the danged thing has been utterly recalcitrant, hanging
upon start-up.

So I went up and used the new Mac laptop, the replacement for the gone-missing 13" Vaio.
Worked like a charm.  Now that I see that /show does a cross-faded progression, I can
only guess that I'm absent piece of QT foo or whatnot that would have driven it.

I'd really like to do this with my 8x8 setup at

    http://67.173.243.230/Dakota-Ridge-Fire/slideshow/index.html

I'm sure Jeff is right and the answer is to farm this sort of thing of
to somebody else, like so much these days.  I don't know whether it's
a control-freak thing not to want to do so, a fear of being trapped by
someone else's decisions and unable to change things if they aren't
to my liking.  For example, I despise the Flicker misinterpretation of
EXIF data.  Check mine for Another Way.

> A couple of mine are a few second exposures.

Which are perilous.  You can't hold them, and the danged tripod gets moved
by the Chinooks.  Mine was flattened-out on my back porch's cast-iron table,
adorned with great boulders, and I still through a whole bunch out.  For example

    http://flickr.com/photos/copiousfreetime/3179076196/sizes/o/in/set-72157612308224202/

has that "I need to be wearing stereo glasses for this" effect.  On the other hand,

http://flickr.com/photos/copiousfreetime/3178239211/sizes/o/in/set-72157612308224202/

does not.  Maybe I didn't look closely enough.

I'm guessing you were using a 70-200/2.8; I see the 1250 ISO and say, ok, for that
shutter speed, I guess I could try it.  My long glass in the shop for repair, so
I was left with much shorter things and somewhat further away -- like, a coupla miles.

I've updated

    http://67.173.243.230/Dakota-Ridge-Fire/index.html

Because in posting the shots, I made THE cardinal mistake: I forgot to set
the web shots to sRGB colorspace from my working AdobeRGB colorspace, and
so they came out dull-looking.  Then using Safari, I found that I had to
put the colorspace in explicitly or be screwed.   See:

     http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/color-spaces-page3

I've fixed this, and added a few pix and some links to long-exposure shots.

No, Safari isn't my first choice, but it works.  I just haven't gotten
around to installing Opera on the new Mac yet.  Mozilla still lacks
critical features that only Opera provides, and I've the stamina neither to
implement them myself nor lobby others to do so for me.

> There is also a Flickr group showcasing a large number of people[']s
> photos surrounding the fire: http://flickr.com/groups/boulderfire/pool/

> enjoy,

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

I *THINK* mine finally look right for everybody, but that's what
I said the last time.

--tom

PS: And if I haven't strongly recommended exiftool to everybody yet,
    here's another plug for it.