[lug] BOWASP: Capture The Flag, this thursday!

Jeremy mrhits777 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 09:59:27 MST 2009

Subject: [BOWASP]: Bring a Laptop - 1st OWASP Meeting of 2009
When: Thursday, January 22, 2009 6:00 PM-8:00 PM.
Where: Staples CE - Broomfield - 1 Environmental Way, Broomfield

6:00 PM - 7:00 PM Thursday, January 22, 2009

Location: Cexp US HQ - 1 Environmental Way, Broomfield, CO

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Boulder#Next_Meeting

Please join us (and bring your laptop and anyone who's interested) at the
First OWASP Meeting of 2009 - Thursday, January 22nd, 2008 at Staples
CE Broomfield

at 1 Environmental Way, Broomfield, CO 80021.

It's free, but please RSVP so we can tell DirSec how much pizza to order.
NOTE:  we'll be in a DIFFERENT conference room than normal for dinner -
please follow the signs and try to use your indoor voices...

AppSec Capture the Flag
The Boulder OWASP chapter is pleased to present the CTF from the New York
Appsec 2008 conference. The CTF is a series of 30 or so "challenges"
which demonstrate commonly found software vulnerabilities.

The purpose of the CTF is twofold. Advanced users can test their AppSec
acumen by tackling the challenges on their own. Beginning users can learn
AppSec fundamentals as they are guided through the challenges by the
friendly chapter leaders and advanced users.

Whilst seemingly technical in nature, the CTF will also be of interest to
managers, developers and executives, as it provides a simple way to
demonstrate and communicate the serious impact of many AppSec
vulnerabilities.

Agenda
   * 6pm: Pizza & pop @ Staples courtesy of DirSec
   * 6:30pm: Introduction and Chapter business
   * 6:45pm --> 8pm: CTF

Logistics

In order to participate in the CTF "hands on" you will need to bring a
wifi equipped laptop. Many of the challenges in the CTF can be solved
without any special tools. However, for those challenges that require
tools, we recommend the OWASP LiveCD. Go ahead and download it and
familiarize yourself with it ahead of time, if you're so inclined. We
will have LiveCD copies on hand at the meeting also.

Prizes
We are working with DirSec to coordinate prizes for both the first place
advanced user as well as the "most improved" novice user.

Regrets
If you can't make the CTF session on Thursday, no worries! Denver OWASP
will be hosting the CTF session the previous night, on Wednesday 21
January 2009 at Raytheon Polar in Centennial, CO. See the Denver OWASP
page for more info!

Following the meeting we will have informal discussions over beverages at
the Gordon Biersch Brewery and Restaurant.