[lug] Remote admin linux to windows

Jason Schaefer js at jasonschaefer.com
Thu Jan 22 09:35:52 MST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Steve Sullivan <sullivan at mathcom.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My mother is running windows XP and I'm a linux guy.
> Is there a remote admin tool you'd recommend so I can
> see her screen and administer her computer remotely?

If you want to share the screen, so she can see what you are doing,
use vnc (ultravnc is a good windows vnc). You can also use remote
desktop protocal (RDP) to gain access to her computer. When you login,
it will log her out. This is a built in feature of XP. Right click on
My Computer -> Remote access -> enable remote access connections. You
will need to set a password on her XP user account. Also, you will
need to port forward the respective ports VNC is 5900 RDP is 3389.
These will be open to the world so set a good password. A VPN is
recommended!

>From gnu/linux you will use rdesktop for RDP and vncviewer for VNC. Or
tsclient is a good front end for both.