[lug] Remote admin linux to windows

Charles Hutchinson chutchin at geekboi.org
Thu Jan 22 09:40:22 MST 2009

Follow these instructions on the window side to turn on remote desktop in
XP.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsXp/using/mobility/getstarted/Remoteintro.mspx

Once she has that on you can connect to her machine with rdesktop from the
command line and tsclient (uses rdesktop) in gnome or kde.  tsclient is nice
as it saves settings and connections.  She will not be able to see what you
are doing when you connect as her screen will just show a dialog box stating
that someone is connected remotely.

Otherwise VNC is your friend.

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Steve Sullivan <sullivan at mathcom.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My mother is running windows XP and I'm a linux guy.
> Is there a remote admin tool you'd recommend so I can
> see her screen and administer her computer remotely?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Steve

Joan Rivers  - "Forty for you, sixty for me. And equal partners we will be."