[lug] Remote admin linux to windows

Steve A Hart Shart at colorado.edu
Thu Jan 22 09:29:37 MST 2009

you can use rdesktop.....I do it all the time here at CU.

On her winxp system, make an admin account for yourself, then open the
system properties and click on the Remote tab.  Make sure you check the
box to allow users to connect remotely.  Then click "select Remote
users" and make sure your account is allowed access.

Next get the IP addy from her system and make sure she logs off.
Windows does not allow multiple users to log in at the same time without
hacking the OS.

Install rdesktop on your linux system and use a command similar to the
following (all on one line):

rdesktop -g 1024x768 -u WINUSER -a 16 -r disk:LINUSER=/home/LINUSER -r
sound:local -N -z IPADDRESS

Where WINUSER is your windows username and LINUSER is your linux
username.  This command will also mount your linux home directory as
another drive on windows allowing you to drag and drop files if needed.

note:  If she is using a router this may not work.  Routers can block
this from working correctly.

Props to Dan Ferris for showing me this useful tool a couple years back!

Good luck

Steve