[lug] OT: netbook opinions?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Jan 27 17:26:05 MST 2009

Aren't all Gentoo installations in a permanent state of "nearly perfect"?
LOL!

I remember doing that... my big mistake was building OpenOffice from source
every single ****ing time they released... on the "extra" laptop with the
slow processor.

Then I'd realize I wanted to do something that wasn't in the build flags,
and virtually *everything* would need to be rebuilt... another two days of
the laptop crunching away 24 hours a day.  I don't think that laptop was
actually used as a laptop UNPLUGGED from AC power for more than two hours a
week, inbetween builds, if the builds all fell on the right day.

I finally realized I'd completely lost all sense of proportion when I
started figuring out how to have the other machines in the house do
distributed builds for the slow laptop.  LOL!

Was fun to set that up, but once is enough.  Same thing with LFS.  Once is
plenty... after that you're happy to have package maintainers doing the
grunt work.

Nate