[lug] OT: netbook opinions?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Jan 29 13:40:11 MST 2009

dio2002 at indra.com wrote:
> - how silent these netbooks are, especially those that use HDs vs SDDs?  i
> think the SDD based models are pretty darned silent.  not sure if netbooks
> have fans or not?

You probably want to look for places where they officially list the dBm,
otherwise it's pretty subjective.  I think most laptops are pretty quiet,
except for efm's.  That'll be fixed once they come out to replace her fan
though -- first laptop we've had where the fan bearings went out.

I'd call my Eee with Atom and SSD "quiet", but my definition may be
different than yours.

> - which is the better / faster processor : atom versus celeron?  i've

I think the Atom is pretty awesome.  I've been playing with the dual core
Atoms and they're quite fast boxes, particularly when you consider they
only use around 35W at the wall, including HD.  That's running all-out, not
idle.

The biggest performance issue with my Eee seems to be the SSD.  It's *NOT*
a fast SSD, but what do you expect when it's so cheap?  So, getting more
memory to allow it to do more caching is probably a good thing.  I have 1GB
but can apparently upgrade to 2.  I probably won't though.  I'm glad I
didn't get 512.

Sean