[lug] OT, Functional Languages

Jeffrey Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 16:32:05 MST 2009

Zooko,

Well, no more than Haskell has failed.  We're probably using different
measures of success.

Here's mine, replete with devil-may-care side bet:

Throwing caution to the winds, I'll bet you a nickel -- hard cash -- that in
a year or so, no major project is using Darcs to host its code base.

(Other distributed systems, like git, mercurial, and bazaar, now host code
we use.  Bzr might shrivel up and die, but I'll bet the other two won't.)

"Major project"?  Okay, something that's part of the default installation of
Ubuntu Langourous Leech, or whatever 10.04 gets called.

A nickel.  Cash.  We can have Susan Ramsey hold the stakes.  Put your money
where your mouth is. :-)

Your other opinions?  Cool.  If you're at Sole tonight, coffee's on me.

I can afford to be a spendthrift tonight because I anticipate heavy, future,
gambling winnings.

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 3:28 PM, zooko <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:

> I'm actually a contributor to the darcs project, and I don't agree that it
> has failed.
>
> I have a lot of other opinions about some things you just said, but I'll
> save them for the next time we chat over coffee, or something.
>
> Regards,
>
> Zooko

Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell]