[lug] FC10 Network GUI and chkconfig problem

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Jan 30 10:02:36 MST 2009

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:33:18 -0700
"Michael J. Hammel" <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 13:02 -0500, Gordon Golding wrote:
...snip...
> > Anybody else tripped over this?
>
> Many times.  NetworkManager hoses my network configurations.  network
> does a better job.

network is still needed for things like bridging and the like.
And on a server with a static IP, NM is kinda overkill to be running
all the time.

> One caveat:  if you use the GUI for network then
> the NETMASK entry in
> your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<network
> interface> file will get hosed.  You may have to manually fix it.

This bug in system-config-network was fixed a while ago, make sure you
apply all updates. ;)

> As long as you don't change the config often this isn't much of a
> problem.
>
> See http://www.graphics-muse.org/wp/?p=202 and search for
> "NetworkManager".  I don't mention disabling NetworkManager there but
> you'll see the reference to editing the ifcfg-xxx files.

NM has gotten tons better. I sure hope that they come up with a nice
command line/tui tool to manage it.

kevin