[lug] Permissions: Guard Directories but allow File changes

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Tue Feb 3 11:49:01 MST 2009

On 09-02-03_1318.53, Gordon Golding wrote:

> I have a big directory tree - too big to play with by hand.
>
> I have someone (an OTHER person) who I want to be able to change files in every sub-/directory, but I want to protect the directories themselves.
>
> So I want the directories to be safe:????????? rwxrwxr-x
> But I want the files to be changeable:??????? rwxrwxrw-
>

> What's the easiest way to do this?

On many Linux systems your user name is also a group name
You might consider giving this other person membership in
your group. Then the issue would be about the middle triplet
of permissions. And the third triplet could remain as is,
for some semblance of security against outside threats.

But on your actual question, I don't see a way of doing
what you want that I would suggest as 'easy'.

HTH
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at mesanetworks.net